Friday, March 26, 2010

Hall of Shame


In my mind, I've sort of had this pledge to myself that I'd share the good, the bad and the ugly on this blog. Here's some of The Ugly.

I was flipping through my photo log this morning and came across this masterpiece. Seriously, what was I thinking? Perfectly beautiful pieces of faceted solar quartz with bunches of...Stuff. I even submitted this to a couple magazines (I received politer responses than I deserved).

It's sort of like those photos of myself from the 80s - I wince at the clothes (hot pink spandex mini-skirts, anyone?), I avert my eyes, I move on.

Still, we all have those moments, right? I think it's important to remember that we each have our own personal, er, design troughs - and we all get over them, eventually. It's all part of the process.

Anyone else have Hall of Shame stories they'd like to share?

10 comments:

Silver Parrot said...

So brave of you to share! And yes, I have soooo many of these. Too many, in fact. And I've blogged about some of 'em so my shame is out there for all the world to see, too. Now, if I could only find a picture of me with my crazy '80's hair to go with those posts...

mairedodd said...

yes, definitely have some of those... and i also remember being so proud of them - really??! you had a great tiered idea working though... and i can completely commiserate on the clothes - madonna style bracelets 3" deep, etc, etc ... i don't have to tell you! nice to find a kindred spirit though...

sandi m said...

A brave woman you are!
Yes, I have some of those pieces, too. But the fun part of this business is the taking apart and then feel like I've been shopping.

My time was the 70's - I hated the look back then and affirmed my dislike when "that" look became popular again; peace symbols...

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

sure! I wrote an entry on about.com jewelry a few years back (or was itjust yesterday--time flies and sometmes you never learn!!!) called "When good jewelry goes BAD!" My gorgeous citrine bracelet which I had worked up in my head and spent quite a bit of money on was...REALLY GROSS. We all do it! I loke your necklace!!! What is that word everyone's using? You can always "repurpose" it if you choose to!

xox jean!

Anonymous said...

you are too funny, but brave :)
of course i too have some masterpieces that are...well...shameful indeed. but like sandi m, i have fun taking them apart and seeing the beads in a new light.

Barbara Lewis said...

What can I say, change is good, right? We all have those ... and I think I probably have more than you ... so there!

Unknown said...

Hey - I like this design! :)

Yes, I've taken apart many designs in my day and definitely have looked back and winced a time or two.

Ruth Ann said...

Sorry, but I think the piece shown in your article is lovely. It is certainly something that I would buy.

Ruth Ann

Michelle Mach said...

Thanks for sharing this. You're right, mistakes are part of the process. Part of the fun, too, since sometimes it's hard to predict which way a design will go: a winner or something that makes you wince!

diane hawkey said...

I know of a 80's prom dress that wouldf work with that.