Monday, March 9, 2009

Thanks for the Memories


Every now and then, I am reminded that I come from a family of pack rats. My mother periodically sends up boxes of my old toys for the Short One to play with (she even still has my baby teeth, I believe, although I doubt she'll be sending those up to us - I hope not, anyway). This was in the latest shipment. I'd forgotten all about them. My father gave these to me when I was about 7 or 8 - my mother said he found them at Saks Fifth Avenue when he was on a business trip to New York. So I guess I do have a little bead stringing in my far background, after all. I certainly do remember stringing them on stretchy cord and wearing them occasionally.

One of the things that strikes me about these beads as an adult is how incredibly well-finished they are. I wonder who made them? My family has always had a love affair with German-made wooden toys, so I'm kind of wondering if these are from Germany as well. Oh, well - I doubt I will be able to find out now. I'll just let the SO enjoy them (which he has been, all over the carpet).

Did everyone have a good weekend? I spent mine using my Muse (see my post on the Use the Muse contest, if you are confused), and a happy experience it was, too. I'll save my stories of the piece until the contest has been officially finished, but I will say that it was one of those pieces that ended up just designing themselves (although I did have to go shopping for very specific components). Yay for good design days!

Happy Monday, everyone.

ps. The bead bowl is one of the SO's paint-a-pot masterpieces, by the way.

No comments: