Monday, March 23, 2009

Love in Binary


Hey, even a young techie's fancy turns to thoughts of love in the springtime. That's my premise, here, at least. Here's my Geek Love pendant (which spells out the word "love" in binary code) framed by a cool Fly Eye Tab by Sarah Moran on one side and a clean square toggle clasp on the other.

The Short One had a play date today at local indoor play area (despite thoughts of spring, it's back in the 30s here where we live, sigh). After half an hour of frenetic but amicable play time a boy we didn't know (but who appeared to be about the SO's age) came up to the SO with a smile on his face. I thought I was about to view a cute interaction, so I watched them - to see the little so-and-so spit a mouth full of water square in the SO's face and then smirk at him.

The SO was quite distressed by the whole encounter, not to mention wet, but unfortunately, the boy's mother either didn't notice the exchange or didn't care, and I was left with the dilemma about what to do about the whole situation. I didn't feel right about presuming to discipline a stranger's child, but I didn't want the SO to think this was acceptable, either. (Frankly, I don't think I would take all that well to having water spit in my face, either.) In the end, I simply informed both of them that spitting was very rude, stayed with the SO until he calmed down and told him to ignore the boy and go play with his friends. Which he did after a little coaxing.

He came home happy and said he had a good time (although he did request to change his wet shirt, which seemed quite reasonable to me), so I kissed him and told him I was proud of him. Still, I must confess (outside of the SO's hearing) that I'm still pretty annoyed at that little squirt and his parent. But I suppose that's motherhood for you, eh?

Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

Katie Hacker said...

ugh. so true. i hope i would be quick-witted enough to respond the same way!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Katie. I'm sure this will happen again and again in years to come. I'm not really looking forward to it, but I know the SO will need to learn how to deal with it.