Friday, March 13, 2009

Good Fortune


Yikes, I completely meant to post this last night but ended up going to bed with the Short One, instead. Remember this piece?


And this one? (Actually, I'm not sure I ever posted a photo of this one to the blog - the necklace appeared in the Gallery of the July 2008 issue of BeadStyle. It's not a great photo - one of these days I will re-take it.)

We went to eat at our local Chinese restaurant yesterday, and I scored a couple of really nice fortunes. I now have a collection of about 6 good ones (it's amazing how difficult it has been to collect really positive fortunes recently, and I only use ones I actually find in the fortune cookies from my local restaurants - call it a little quirk on my part. Although to be fair, I did ask my waiter to if I could buy a dozen one time I was visiting the restaurant about a year ago. I got peculiar looks from the wait staff for a while after that - and I didn't get any usable fortunes from that bunch, either...).

Anyway, I have a completely new necklace design in mind for one of them - now it's just a question of, well, making the bezel, firing it, burnishing it, sealing the fortune and sinking it in resin. So, er, knowing me, it could take a while (sigh). Anyway, it's what I've been pondering for the past few weeks.

Also, I have two new bead designs in the works, yay! I cut the initial stamps for them on Wednesday. I'm having trouble deciding the right level of detail for the pieces, though. Hopefully, I will have something to show for them by early next week.

I'll be back later with the week's bead and jewelry links. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy your day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa, I love the top necklace. What's the green stone? Beautiful!

Jenn
Hollister, CA

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Jenn! It's prehnite - it's a nice cut, right?

SueBeads said...

Oh, what a great idea! I save my "good" ones too - so do the kids - and every once in a while I find them in my purse, etc.! How Fun!