Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bead & Jewelry Linky Love


This little guy is a Japanese kokeshi doll - probably part of a nesting set, although I have no recollection of having any other kokeshi but him - and he really doesn't have anything to do with beads at all. I've had him since as far back as I can remember, at least since I was 4, and like the wooden beads I showed you earlier in the week, he arrived on our doorstep in a package of toys that my mother shipped up to give to the Short One.

Cynthia Thornton has a wonderful post on her blog about a set of beautiful kokeshi she recently painted. It reminded me of my own childhood, although the little guy above is obviously a much cruder specimen. Cynthia's are completely gorgeous, so you should take a look, if you have time. (Being a collector by nature, it's all I can do not to start amassing a grouping of kokeshi, but I'm trying to resist mightily at the moment, as every spare spot in our house right now is taken up with, well, with BEADS.) Anyway, I thought it would be appropriate to show him to you today, since my bead blog post for the week is about the lovely shibuichi clasps that Green Girl Studios creates.

With no further ado, here are your intriguing links for the week:

Art Bead Scene
It's March and the snow is beginning to thaw. Color comes alive in Red Fish for this month's challenge.

Carmi's Art/Life World
Carmi turns a gift of hand felted beads into some lovely new rings! Perfect for spring.

About.com Jewelry Making
New Lucky Earrings Project - Hot off the jewelry press table, here's a new earring project just in time for St. Patrick's Day.

BeadStyle magazine
Jane talks about her admiration for Brenda Schweder and her work.

Jennifer Jangles Blog
Jennifer has announces the official rules of the Creative Celebration, check it out.

Earthenwood Studio Chronicles
Melanie ponders her passion for porcelain, inspired by a brass embraced pendant she created.

Jewelry & Beading
Seed bead artist Beverly Ash Gilbert shares her amazing creations.

Snap out of it, Jean! There's beading to be done!
Jean is delighted to receive a surpise from Lisa Kan...what could it be?

Katie's Beading Blog
Bead and Button will be here before we know it! Be sure to sign-up today!

Strands of Beads
Melissa shows off her stash - a selection of beautiful clasps from Green Girl Studios.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. Thanks for visiting.

No comments: