Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ornament Thursday - Red Hot Firecracker


Welcome to Ornament Thursday! (And I say again: How can it be the end of July?? How?) The theme for this month is Red Hot. Even though Independence Day has passed, nothing is more Red Hot to me than a firecracker. To be honest, I've been thinking about making a firecracker necklace since last October. My first attempt didn't pan out, so I tucked it away in a drawer and proceeded to ignore it for nine months (clever strategy, eh?). When I finally dusted the project off at the beginning of this month, I decided not to belabor the point, and made a simple red firecracker tassle with Czech glass and head pins.


Personally, I like the way this turned out much more than the first attempt. (And I finally get to use those black glass banana beads that reminded me of the night sky the first time I saw them.)

I'll be back later today with my one year blog anniversary post. Please come visit, as I will holding a wee giveaway to celebrate blog love. In the meantime, check out what's cooking with the other Ornament Thursday members' red hot projects:

Art Bead Scene
ABS Editor Cindy Gimbrone Goes Red Hot Crazy!

Beading Help Web is RED HOT!
Lynn Kvigne takes up the torch and shows you how to make a toe ring using fine silver.

Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
Trendy, Popular and Red Hot!

It's a Red Hot July in Arizona!
Lisa finally finishes a project from over a year ago. Check out this "hot" take on a changeable necklace.

Katie's Beading Blog
Check out Katie's Red Hot faux coral necklace! It's a punch of color with a summery feel.

Linda Augsburg at BeadStyle Magazine
Linda shares a red-hot card she created

Michelle is RED HOT!
Well, really, Margot is...

Savvy Crafter
Hotsie Totsie Plexi-glass Flower pendant over on Candie's blog!

Swelldesigner a.k.a. Alexa Westerfield
The Swelldesigner gets red hot with a Hunka Hunka Burner Necklace!

Too Red Hot
Our own Michelle Zimmerman has been hard at work this month sculpting a devil of a project for your enjoyment.

12 comments:

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Oooo! Love the Firecracker Necklace, Melissa. Glad you dusted it off and tried again. The contrast of the red and black is perfect.

Happy OT!
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa
Wow that is just gorgeous.The red beads are so vibrant and go so well with the black banana beads.Brilliant and well done.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the pendant!! I think your percolating time paid off. Looks great!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Gladys,

I'm so glad you like it! I guess it just goes to show that it can be productive to leave a problem project alone for a while...

Thanks, Candie! I think I'm coming up with more and more excuses to procrastinate these days, though...

Lisa said...

Melissa...very nice! Love the firecracker cluster...and we are both on the changeable vibe! And the "finish it later" one...

Alexa said...

that's really fun! That red element is so bright and bold!

Jane said...

I love it.. so firecrackery.. and colourful..

Katie Hacker said...

I love those banana beads, too. Isn't it cool to set something aside and then find the perfect way to finish it later?

Michelle McGee said...

The talent in this group just overwhelms me sometimes... this is GORGEOUS!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Cindy, For some reason, your comment didn't get emailed to me for moderation (or went into my spam folder or something). Thanks so much! I'm a big red and black person...

Lisa - too right! I think a year is about the right amount of time to finish a necklace, don't you?

Thanks, Alexa! I'm glad you think it came out bold looking.

Thanks, Helen! It's hard to go wrong with "Red Hot", don't you think?

Katie, It's amazing I still manage to find anything in the mess that is my stash. I'm grateful that it worked out!

Thanks, Michelle!

Anonymous said...

I love this design! Simple, dramatic and full of life!!

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thank you, Cindy! I'm so glad you like it!