Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hato Cards II



It seems to be my month for cleaning up old work. Here's another project that's been sitting around for several months. You may recall that way back in October I showed you a few Hato cards, which are Korean playing cards. Well, I finally got around to making a bezel setting for it and embedding one of the cards in resin. Actually, I had a few false starts with the bezel. Making bezels from PMC can be interesting, because PMC shrinks when it's fired. After a few costly mistakes, I got frustrated and put the whole thing aside. As it turns out, I found a template that worked for this last week, made an impression of it in the clay and simply cut the impression out freehand with a craft knife. The end result is a little rough looking - there are no perfect 90 degree angles here - but I kind of like it that way.

Anyway, it's actually a little late in the year for me to be using this card. Hato suits are based on months of the year and this card is from the suit for February. However, the image seems very spring-like to me, and I'm all in favor of a little springtime, right now. This is a bit of a teaser/spoiler, too, as I'm likely to use this pendant in my Ornament Thursday project for this month (which will take place on the last Thursday of this month). It's a bit of a stretch for the theme, but I'm quite keen to use it, now that it's finally assembled. I hope you'll come back to see what I make with it!

My mother, who is visiting, came down with the stomach flu that's been going around here. I feel very sorry for her - she spent the whole day avoiding the Short One (who is mighty curious about this development and keeps making a run for the guest room every time we go upstairs for anything) in the hope of not passing it on/back (he had stomach flu a couple weeks ago) to him. Fortunately, at this point, it seems that this is one of those 24 hour viruses. We are hoping that she will be back to normal very quickly after a day of rest.

Meanwhile the SO, who has a habit of clambering up one of the dining room chairs so he can reach our notebook computer (as you may recall, he feels that we keep the computer especially for his entertainment), has started falling off of the chair in quite dramatic ways. So far, we've managed to avert real disaster (although one seemed bad enough to warrant checking his teeth, afterwards - they're fine, fortunately), but keeping an eye on him is no longer sufficient. Two eyes and a couple hands seems more like it. Are girls like this? I just have this impression that this is more of a boy issue. Maybe I'm just falling victim to stereotypes here? I mutter to my Husband about his Y chromosome, but he just rolls his eyes at me...

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

rtisan said...

Hi Melissa,

Wow! I LOVE the necklace in your banner--the thin, see thru' glass (?) leaves are amazing!

Livy said...

Thanks for visitng my blog! I love the banner of your blog. It is so simple and serene - and lavender is one of my favorite colors.

Anonymous said...

Love the pendant! I can't wait to see what you come up with. I've been unable to send e-mail for about 3 weeks now. I'll have a long one for you when I finally have that back. As for boys, they are just like that! Girls do not run, jump, climb and use everything as a sword! When I was pregnant, I told the Dr. that if she was going to tell me I had a boy in there, I would need a prescription for Valume(spelling?) as well, being that we already had 3 kids, 2 of them boys! I knew that another boy would be just more than I could handle! Luckily, there wasn't a need for that prescription! :)
Take care.
Jenn Kelly

Melissa J. Lee said...

Hi, rtisan and livy! I'm glad you like the banner. I have my friend, Rachel Place, to thank for making it for me. She's a fellow Etsian - www.sugartoppers.etsy.com.

Hi, Jenn! I've been visiting your website, so I know you've had email problems. I hope they're resolved soon. Man, I admire how you cope with four. Just the amount of milk your house goes through in a day is daunting! What are you going to do with yourself once your little girl is in school full time??