Monday, March 10, 2008

Bad Blogger


Could I be a worse blogger these days? I've spent the past week working on a erstwhile contest piece, to the exclusion of almost everything else, including sleep. I forget which author said that he spent the morning taking out a comma and the afternoon putting it back in (or vice versa - the whole quote is pretty hazy in my mind), but I've pretty much been doing that with a single necklace for days. Yesterday, I added a piece of sterling chain to the necklace, tonight, after thinking about it for two hours, I took it out. I think this whole evening definitely falls victim to the law of diminishing returns. I just need to finish this piece, photograph it, submit it and stop thinking about it. I decided to enter a contest just for the experience (I have no expectation of placing or even making the finals - the level of competition is too high), and the experience, thus far, has been a little stress-inducing.

Anyway, given that I'm (once again) punting, I thought I'd show you this older piece. It's based on "A Midsummer Night's Dream". The porcelain moon face cab in the focal is by Earthenwood Studio. I made the leaves from resin. Ultimately, the leaves were not entirely a success. This is a project I'd like to revisit at some point. The leaves are light and the colors are vivid, which I like, but I had problems with the surface of the leaves being a bit rough and crude looking. I made the molds for these leaves by sticking a polymer clay mock up of each leaf in silicone molding material. The clay was not finished well enough, and, as a result, in patches the resin came out of the mold looking a little cloudy. I have a few ideas on how to fix this little problem, but the way things are looking, I may not be able to revisit the issue until May or so. I do like the overall design of this piece, though, and my friend Rachel Place used this photograph when she kindly surprised me by making the banner for my blog for me. See?

Sorry again for the short, rather bland post. If you would bear with me for another day or two, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just a beautiful piece.It looks stunning.You should be very pleased with yourself.

Anonymous said...

It is a lovely, lovely necklace and the theme is very fitting. I love your sense of creativity!
Vickie

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks Gladys and Vickie! I'm glad you like the necklace. Hopefully, I'll have fresh work to show soon... Thanks for sticking with me during this slow period.