Thursday, January 3, 2008

Dragon's Eye



Once again, I'm up too late (or too early, depending on your perspective) with the Short One, so I thought I'd go ahead and post. I finished this pendant tonight. As you can see, I'm still on a dragon kick. You may recall that I made my first dragon's eye pendant with Sarah Moran's beautiful bead here. I'm still planning on completing a full necklace with the set of beads I have from Sarah, but now I think I may make two separate necklaces on the same theme. I like the way this came out. I started thinking that I could carve a bezel with a heavy-lidded eye surrounded by scales, for a dragon's eye. This is my first try. After I fired the piece, applied the patina and polished it, I spent a lot of time debating what to put in the bezel for the eye. I tried a couple things - rondelles of peridot and garnet, for example - but none of them gave the same disturbing (disturbing to me, at any rate) feeling of being watched as the smooth, round freshwater pearl. I attached the pearl with a ruby-colored resin. I wanted to create something both attractive and unsettling at the same time. You'll have to tell me if I succeeded or not.

Thanks for stopping by! Have a great Thursday.

No comments: