Thursday, November 22, 2007

Sanibel Island




Here are the new Treasure Box pendants. These actually have a bit of a story behind them. I grew up in landlocked areas. As a result, whenever I do find myself near the ocean, I tend to act like a kid - I love playing in the sand and beachcombing. (During a professional conference in Naples, Florida several years ago, I got caught out by a former opposing counsel walking barefoot on the beach with a fistful of little shells. Fortunately, our case together had already ended. As it was, I just got a funny look from her.)

The Husband and I had planned an off-season trip to Sanibel Island in Florida, that mecca of shell-collecting. As it turned out, we found out that we were pregnant with the Short One just a couple weeks before our vacation. As a result, it ended up being a rather romantic trip (er, apart from the constant nausea and hurling on my part which was sadly not at all romantic). Better yet, because it was off-season, the island was relatively quiet - there were no lines for restaurants, the beaches weren't too crowded and the resort upgraded us to a suite that was bigger than the condo we were living in at the time and that had a beautiful view of the ocean. Plus, we had wonderful weather. And, of course, I collected really beautiful shells.

The shells in these pendants are from Sanibel. Personally, I think they have an aura of good luck to them. It was probably one of the best vacations we've ever had, and it was filled with that wonderful feeling of expectation knowing that the Short One was coming (oh, for those innocent days before we knew what we were in for). And, after all, I did get over the nausea and vomiting. Eventually.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Just wanted to say hi and say how sweet the story behind these pendants are.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, FP! It was a nice trip (although, why oh why is it that some women have terrible morning sickness and some never seem to be affected by it at all??)