Monday, September 10, 2007

Something Wicked This Way Comes


Here's the final piece. I had the devil of a time trying to photograph this. Black beads on a black background just doesn't seem ideal, but all my attempts to use a white background ended up making the silver looked washed out. I'm clearly not doing something right. Until I started posting on-line, I never knew how difficult it is to photograph jewelry and beads well. (Weirdly, it always reminds me of food dressers - you know, those folks who put lipstick on strawberries to make them look more luscious for commercials. I have no idea why my brain makes this connection, though.) Anyway, as you can see, I ended up swapping out the blood red glass drops for black faceted spinel beads, so I could use the sponge coral for the rest of the piece. I also realized after I finished it, that I have no shirt or dress with the right neckline to actually wear this necklace well. Sigh.

The long focal beads remind me a little of the streaming green binary code that appears in the movie "The Matrix". I've been toying with the idea of making a binary code necklace with green and black accent beads next...

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

melanie brooks said...

I really like how this piece turned out! It does remind me of Matrix code a bit. I love teh one skull on the side and the dangles at the back. Nice!

I have the hardest time potographing red, black and white. My attempts are terrible. I have a new camera to play with now though so I hope they will improve.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Melanie! My camera is reallly old - my husband (then boyfriend) bought it for me for Christmas one year when we were dating. It was one of the early ones on the market, and it cost a hideous amount of money back then. I have a new camera on my wishlist this year (not nearly so expensive!). A friend told me to try a light grey background, instead of white, so I'm going to give that a try next.

Rachel said...

It looks great. I think my favorite part is the two skulls on the back like Melanie. Another fabulous inspired piece.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Thanks, Rachel!