Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Full Fathom Five


Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes;
Nothing of him that does fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:
Ding-dong,
Hark! Now I hear them – Ding-dong, bell.

Well, it's dawning on me that, no matter how hard I try, I won't have new work to show you for at least another week. Life is just too busy here at the moment. I thought, instead, I could talk about the inspiration for this piece. This is a pretty happy looking bead and necklace, but the original inspiration for the diorama focal was actually the song "Full Fathom Five" from The Tempest. Despite the grim subject matter (it's about drowning), I've always loved this song. I'd been wanting (and still want) to make a necklace based on it.

It so happens that the July Art Bead Scene Challenge had a "Mermaid's Grotto" theme, and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try the "Full Fathom Five" necklace. I sketched out three large shadow-box style focals, each containing a fragment of verse at the top and shells, pearls and coral at the bottom. I sketched out stylized silver bones as accent beads. Once again, I just ended up not having enough time to make the whole necklace, so I made this similar but simpler, sunny day at the beach theme necklace instead. By the way, the lovely shells in this necklace are actually ceramic Terra Trinkets by Melanie Lukacs of Earthenwood Studio.

My project book is filling up with ideas, but I've barely been able to try a tenth of them. On the one hand, it's frustrating, but on the other other hand, I really look forward to the hour a day or so that I can devote to this. Speaking of which, I should stop blabbing and get out my PMC box. Thanks for reading!

ps. Something funky is happening with the formatting of this entry. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I can't seem to correct it...

3 comments:

melanie brooks said...

Thanks for tellign us about the inspiration for that piece. I am really fascinated by the things that inspire artists lately, and have been feeling inspired by music and paintings myself.

As for the formatting, yeah, I have 4 blogger blogs and I still haven't figured that out. It happened to me just today! I have learned to live with it, sigh...

Melissa J. Lee said...

On a related note, I've been torching and making my PMC beads in complete silence until now. I remember that you mentioned in your blog at some point that you sometimes worked with music or the tv on. D'oh - never even occurred to me...

The formatting issue reminds me of all the times I've struggled to get the formatting correct on my resume - so irritating! Oh, well...

melanie brooks said...

I actually always work with music or the TV on. When I do clay work its TV and glazing, I listen to my Ipod. But I don't have the hiss or a torch or anything else to interfere when I work with those things...its just my hands and the clay.

I do require silence when I write/blog, though. Or do things where i have to use my analytical brain, like math. I can't listen and do those things at the same time, just artistic things.

And I barely ever "watch" anything. I have trained myself to just listen to TV even though it is showing right in front of me. Its better anyway...thse rare times when I do watch a movie or TV with my eyes, I usually get a migrane...